Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Phineas Found!



In the ten or so years that I've been working on this project, I've experienced many a strange and wonderful coincidence. Here is the latest: Some photo collectors have just identified the man in an old daguerreotype portrait in their collection--a photo they've had for years--as none other than Phineas Gage, making it the only known photo of poor old Phineas in existence.

The coincidence is Phineas's story serves as the prologue of my film. I just shot it last month.

Nice story in the Boston Globe here. The LA Times broke the story.

I didn't buy it at first. The iron seemed too thick (we'd had a local blacksmith recreate one to the exact specifications and ours seems thinner). And I just didn't see the similarity to his life mask. Plus everybody knows Phineas has got Big Ol' Sideburns, c'mon! Anyhow, they were able to line up his face to the life mask and the rod (or its engravings) to the original, so I guess it's him.

Phineas toured with Barnum for awhile after the accident, cashing in on his lucky accident, and I know from working on the most excellent documentary, Sideshow, it was common for such acts to sell photos as mementos. The fact that he's posing with his iron makes me wonder if this is such a souvenir. There must be more out there somewhere. Check your grandparents' attics, people.



No comments:

Post a Comment